db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Torque 4.0 plan
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:20:32 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Greg Monroe wrote:

>> Thomas Vandahl said:
>>
>> Greg Monroe wrote:
>>
>>> Additionally, the generated record objects could make use
>>> of this new base class to support things like isNull() on
>>> primitives.  We could also use this to track modified and
>>> unmodified column values, which would be very useful (e.g.
>>> updating tables without primary keys).
>>
>> I'd throw primitives away completely. There is no advantage
>> in keeping them. Especially with JDK 1.5.
>
> I think there's still benefit in having record objects with
> primitive get/set field access methods.  They are like the
> static Peer methods, not the best way to do things, but they
> make coding easier.
>
> But the underlying storage could be Object based with conversion
> occuring in the generated field methods.  Even with these, the
> underlying objects could still be access via the getBy/setBy
> methods.
>
> Of course, there would be a slight performance hit since the
> conversion takes place each time the method is called rather
> than at population time.

If we only use objects internally, this would make coding and templating
easier. I do not think the small performance overhead of object/primitive
conversion matters much nowadays.

If we use java 1.5, I'm not sure whether primitive accessors and setters
make sense at all (better create the cost of conversion on the user's
side, so he can take control over it)

    Thomas