db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Handling of custom add-ons
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:09:13 GMT
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Greg Monroe wrote:

> I mostly agree with your strategy here.  It's in line
> with what Maven does for Contributed plug-ins.  There's a
> http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/ project for a wide
> variety of things that aren't licensed under Apache, etc.
>
> The only thing I might question is this being a blanket
> policy with no respect for size.  In the case of my
> submission, this probably does belong on SourceForge.
> It's fairly large.
>
> But what about small contributions, like the XML style
> sheet to convert schema XML to ERDDesigner XML format?
> Or a future submition that's a single template override
> file that supports INNOB table hints in MySQL.  Should
> contributers of stuff like this have to create an
> external distribution site?
>
> I'd hate to see solutions to some of DB version
> specific problems not solved because it's hard to
> contribute.

I agree with you here. The points were made because of the cost of quality
assurance and maintenance, and for small additions, this might not apply.
Personally, I'd even consider the InnoDB hint stuff as core Torque, and
include it into the main distribution.
I would also not mind to check your betwixt add-on, and I'm sure I would
not have to fear much in terms of quality there, but I just do not see me
revising addons every time, so I did not want to open the door in the
first place.

> But then I guess I could request a Torque-Add SF.net
> project and make it a generic place to find such stuff.

If you want to do this- great !

    Thomas

communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you
may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please
not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email,
its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.