db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: case sensitive comparisons
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:59:04 GMT
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Greg Monroe wrote:

> MS SQL Server (and I think Sybase) have server level settings
> to determine if searchs are case sensitive or not (at install
> time only!).  In some version, like SQLServer 2000, this can
> be set at the individual database level (at creation time).
> The default is for all searches to be case-insensitive.

This is strange, as the mssql adapter extends the sybase adapter, and in
the sybase adapter, the following implementation is present

public String ignoreCase(String in)
{
     return new StringBuffer("UPPER(").append(in).append(")").toString();
}

which converts all strings to upper case if case-insensitivity is needed.
This would not be necessary if the default comparison is case-insensitive.
In this case, one should have the following

public String ignoreCase(String in)
{
     return in;
}

But maybe one wants to be on the safe side here...

It looks as if achieving compatibility between databases on the
case-sensitivity side might be quite tough. Maybe it is better to leave it
as it is (so far, nobody complained yet).

     Thomas