db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject AW: Limiting joins in Oracle
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:09:07 GMT
Hi Tobias,

"Tobias Hilka" <thilka@vps.de> schrieb am 10.10.2006 10:23:45:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> The example I gave you was just a simple query string representing
> my problem. In reality we are populating the objects from all tables
> involved in the query.
>
> I would really appreciate if you could look at the problem.

I installed an oracle instance at home yesterday and hope to be able to
look into the problem today or tomorrow evening.

> Another question we are facing: Is there any special reason why the
> methods generated in all subclasses of BasePeer (e.g.
> populateObject, row2Object...) and BaseObject are not declared
> abstract in the superclasses so they can be used in a generic way?
> We are holding objects of a subclasses of BasePeer and we want to
> call populateObject on these objects but we do not know which
> subclass it. I know you can not override methods in a static way,
> but if you want to call a method like this there is no way to do
> this at the moment. We found a way out of this situation by
> modifying the generator template Peer.vm. Now it generates instance
> methods like populateObject2() which just call the static method
> (poulateObject()) of the right class. Do you think this could be a
> useful feature for other torque users as well?

This is certainly a useful feature which has been brought up before, but
nothing in the scope of the 3.2.1 release. My current preference would be
to address this in the 4.0 release. Your solution is certainly fine as a
quick solution, but my current favourite solution would be to do the work
in an object that must be instantiated, but provide another class as a
static wrapper for convenience. This would have the advantage that for
normal usage, everything looks as before, but if you want you can use
inheritage, plus one object does not get too cluttered with methods.

    Thomas