db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: Plans to add vendor-specific properties?
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:32:41 GMT
Well, here's my point of view on this.  I think
this is a common enough request that we need to
think about how to support stuff like this.
However, being a DB specifice issue, I'm not
sure this should be embedded in the "core" of
Torque.

A solution I can see would be to do something
similar to the following in the core code:

1) Modify the schema DTD to include a new attribute,
sqlOptions, on all the major elements.  Define the
format of this to be something that allows for a
a list of key/value pairs, e.g.:

<Table ... sqlOptions="key1, value, key1, value1">

2) Then add a getSqlOptions(key) method to all the
matching generator classes.

This would allow DB specific templates to be created
that could have code like $table.getSqlOption(key1)
in them.  Since options like this can be both DB and
DB version specific, I'd see such templates being
supplied as "add-ons" (using the new add-on code
that I'm working on 8) ).

So, if you need special DB features and someone has
contributed an add-on set of templates, just use the
Torque distro, specify and override directory, and
put the add-on templates there. (And if no one
has contributed one.. feel free to share.)

This way we can semi-support DB Version X's special
features, without getting the core development tied
up in testing a lot of DB (and DB version) specific
options support.

> Florian Hopf said:
>
> Hi all,
> I'm wondering if there are any plans to include some vendor specific
> properties to Torque?
> Currently I'd propably need support for setting the character set and
> the storage engine in MySQL for some tables. Though I could modify the
> templates for my needs quite easily I'd appreciate a
> statement if such a
> thing would possibly be included in Torque some time. The only similar
> reference I found is the next release section in the wiki, which
> contains the suggestion to include an encoding attribute to
> the database
> element.
>
> Kind regards
> Florian