db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r419657 - /db/torque/runtime/trunk/src/java/org/apache/torque/adapter/
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:55:24 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Thomas Vandahl wrote:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
>> I did not mean to criticize you there. It was just a general remark.
>
> No, you are perfectly right. Sybase and SQLServer do have very similar
> features. Compatibility is a distinct aim of the development.

Ah, I did not know that. I thought it was just a coincidence. This gives a
certain justification to the extension...

> The extension
> is clumsy, nevertheless.
>
> I got my hands on a copy of MS-SQL Server 2005 Express to test how things are
> going. And guess what: All kinds of problems. Mainly the following:
> - criteria.setLimit(0) is supposed to return 0 records (What sense does that
> make, anyway?)

I think it is consistent behaviour; if soneone has a formula which might
return zero then this works also. Not much sense otherwise.

>"SET ROWCOUNT 0" means to return all records.

Hm, this would mean we have the same problem in sybase... Not that I could
check that...

> - criteria.setSingleRecord() and criteria.setLimit(1) have different meaning,
> especially if offset is > 0. In our case of MS-SQL, we have limit support but
> no offset support. The check on single record, however, takes place before
> the offset is considered by Village. This needs to be fixed.

aaaaargh... Village the villain again...... We _NEED_ to get rid of it.

> - Strange LargeSelect behaviour.

Thomas, can we resolve this for now by declaring that mysql does not
support native limit ?

> As we are at it: Somehow I cannot get the test project to write a log file.
> The log4j.properties file seems to have no effect. Any hints?

I did not see any initiallisation of log4j in the sources of the test
project. I guess one would have to tell log4j to initialize itself using
that properties file.

    Thomas