db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: SetByName, SetByPeerName, SetByPostion support / Generic String to Column Object utility class.
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:11:54 GMT
Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vandahl@tewisoft.de> schrieb am 16.06.2006 08:45:07:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for your explanation, now I see what you have in mind.
> >
> > My current feeling is that this is outside the scope of Torque. I do
not
> > see any additional benefit to include the ColumnValueConverter into
> > Torque as compared to using it standalone. It is not the job of a
Object
> > relational mapper to provide String representations of objects; there
> > are other libraries which do this, e.g. jakarta common's betwixt.
> >

> You are right but nevertheless I find the inclusion of the
> abovementioned methods useful. Two reasons:
> - It would make the API more regular.
> - I can imagine several use cases (including one of mine) where setting
> column values from a BaseObject could be nice.

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing here. Greg's original
suggestion consisted of two independent parts:
1) the setByName and setByPosition methods in the base object (TORQUE-26)
2) a converter class java value <-> String value.

I agree that 1) is a very good addition, in fact I committed it yesterday.
I do not believe that 2) is a feature which should be inside a object
relational manager. Although I can imagine that it is very useful, it
should be a standalone tool.

      Thomas