db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Tassos Bassoukos" <abass...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance issues when using postgresql-8.1-404.jdbc3.jar
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:33:16 GMT
On 6/14/06, Joe Carter <joe.carter@excite.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Interestingly I suspect we're seeing similar problems with Sybase.
>  When I manually implement a select instead of using Torque's save()
>  I seem to get about twice the performance.
>
> Can you tell me precisely what you changed?
> I'd like to try it with our system.
>
> Thanks

I simply removed the nullAllowed and autoIncerement properties (and
their accessors, initializers etc) from the
com.workingdogs.village.Column class, recompiled, and that's about it.

Background: Village aggresively caches the metadata from the ResultSet
of a query, this happening by calling some getters, which are
implemented in the driver. In PostgreSQLs case, two of those getters
perform an extra query on the database to provide the requested
information. However, this information is not accessed by village or
by Torque, but it is requested from the database anyway.

I haven't used Sybase, but it may have a way to log all database
requests; see if every request from Torque is accompanied by request
for column metadata.

Hope this helps,
Tassos Bassoukos