db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject RE: Plan to enhance Database Mapping info
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:08:45 GMT

In digging into the code some more, I probably won't add the
methods to the Torque class.  Instead, I'll just add an
initialize() method to the DatabaseMap class.  This means
that not interfaces will need to be updated.  More on this
when I answer Thomas F's note.

> What about the managers? Maybe I'm the only one who uses JCS caching,
> but I would love to see them considered...
>
> This would require some getManager() method in all objects and
> getOmClass(), getPeer() and getTableMap() in the managers.

Good point and the reason to run this by everyone first.  Once
again, more on this in the next note.

> Just one question for my understanding. Why do you need special
> introspection code if you can have Beans generated? Could you
> give some example where this is useful?

In my particular case, I'm looking at having some generic XML
import and export code that uses the Torque generated schema DTD.

For the import case, as the XML file is parsed, the element and
attribute tag strings have to be mapped into the Torque objects
that will be populated and saved.  Since I want it to be generic
so that no code has to be changed as tables and columns are added
or modified, I need a fully populated map structure find this
info.

In the export case, I want to generate the proper element and
attribute tags from a (possibly mixed) List of objects generated
by application specific code.  So I have to be able to inspect
each object on the list and find the matching strings that
identify it in the XML output file.

Duke CE Privacy Statement