db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: [Vote] migrate from Scarab to jira
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:45:12 GMT
Hi Jorge,

Jorge Uriarte <jorge.uriarte@omelas.net> schrieb am 08.02.2006 22:33:06:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, here is the correct url:
> >
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-torque-dev/200508.
> mbox/%3c42F12583.2010707@omelas.net%3e
> >

> As you can read in the thread, the help was not conditioned to Torque
> staying with Scarab (well, I guess my english was not clear enough??)
>
> If I do remember correctly, we talked about upgrading Apache's Scarab to
> a modern version (J.McNally?, Thomas?), where most of short-comings
> might be solved... but... ok, I guess nobody got the time.

Yes, sadly enough :-(

> Anyway... the Scarab community has lost a good chance to keep one of our
> small places under the spotlight, and I'm sad that you lost the
> oportunity to test a really modern Scarab version ;-)

As I have explained in my previous mail to torque-dev, I would also have
liked to stay with scarab, but the circumstances are not favourable.
Regarding the lost spotlight, the only projects which use scarab now are
jakarta jcs and torque, so the spotlight was not that large :-)

> I'm not having too much time lately, but I still offer my assistance in
> the migration, if needed. If you have problems in the migration from
> Scarab, maybe you can try following the upgrade procedure to trunk
> (should be highlt stable):
>
> http://scarab.tigris.org/svn/scarab/trunk/MIGRATION
>
> Then, XMLExport should work just fine, and I guess transforming it to
> Jira's format must be doable (we're currently *importing* from Jira and
> Bugzilla)
> The Excel output might also be a good resource for the migration.
>
> Anyway... don't be afraid of asking in our mailing lists.
> The keepers of our persistence layers will still be warmly welcomed!

Thanks a lot for for your offer of assistance; I really appreciate it. I'll
also read the page you mentioned. I'm not sure whether an automatic
migration is useful, a manual migration might be an opportunity to clear
out the issue tracker. There are lots of open issues around which are more
than two years old, probably most of them are closed in the meantime ore
not applicable any more.

I'll always keep Scarab in my mind as an issue tracker; if I have the
opportunity to choose one from scratch anywhere, I'll certainly give it a
try !

    Thomas