db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Result] [Vote] migrate from Scarab to jira
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:51:29 GMT
On 2/9/06, Mick Wever <mick@wever.org> wrote:
> > The vote has passed.
>

> This is a shame. And I think the wrong decision has been made. Honestly.

It is a shame - I'm liking the bits I'm hearing about the new Scarab.
The current Apache Scarab is terrible from my point of view as a user
as it's not open enough - but that's just because it doesn't seem to
allow non-logged in users to see anything.

The main issue though is as Thomas has said; a third bug tracker for 2
subprojects is a big commitment for the infra team to be making - both
in terms of people and physical resource.

> First and most importantly JIRA is not opensource. This should be a a
> considerable concern for open source developers.

In a GPL, let's make everything open, world; sure. One of the key
points of Apache is to allow commercial business to thrive on our code
without enforcing more than is necessary on their licensing options.

So having companies like Atlassian is one of the reasons for Apache -
therefore using them is eating our own dogfood.

I agree on choosing open-source first though. If its a straight choice
between two bug trackers, I'd choose the open one. I hate using
Bugzilla, so I've always opted for Jira.

> Second, scarab uses torque. Projects should "eat-their-own-dogfood".

More of a "eat-their-dog" than dogfood :)

Hen