db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: proposal for reorganizing the Torque site
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:32:13 GMT

Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vandahl@tewisoft.de> schrieb am 25.01.2006 08:05:36:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> > Do you think that the old versions are hurting anyone ? I agree that in

> > most cases, they are of less use than the new docs, but maybe someone
> > got used to it, or wants to look up an old feature...
> >
> > It requires no work at all keeping the old versions.
> >
> > Do you still think they should be removed ?
>
> My suggestion came from what I feel if I come across a web site like
> this: "If they were confident that the new version works, they wouldn't
> keep the old one. So let's stick to the old one. It is probably more
> stable and I don't want to mess with their bugs..."
>
> I just didn't want to confuse the users.

Ok, if it is only this, we can always put a text somewhere prominent (i.e.
in the overview page) saying that we fully believe in the new version.
However, someone using Torque 3.1.1 in an application will not move
atomatically to Torque 3.2 just because it is newer and better. In a new
version of a software, subtle things may have change you might rely on
unknowingly, so migrating is always a risk, which must be outbalanced by
greater benefits to be undertaken.
So when I migrated an application which was already in production from
Torque 3.1.1 to Torque 3.2, I had to re-test the whole application anew,
which was a lot of work, and which I would not have done if I did not
urgently need some of the new features in Torque 3.2. Providing the old
version of the docs is a courtesy to users for which the risk and trouble
of migrating is larger than the benefits of migrating.

But, as the versioning of the docs also makes the navigation more difficult
to understand(see the mail I'll write to Scott's reply), I'll start a vote
about whether to provide versioned docs or not (I do not want to decide
this alone). We could also create the benefits of  versioning in
unversioned docs if we put since-tags to new features (for example: Outer
joins (since 3.2) ....), or keep descriptions of old functionality around
(like: in pre-3.2 versions of Torque, behaviour was different: ....)

   Thomas