db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: Torque tries to get database.dtd over the net if no dtd is specified
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:53:51 GMT
Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vandahl@tewisoft.de> schrieb am 30.01.2006 09:33:17:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> > Is this necessary ?? I would think if no dtd is given, we could use the

> > one which comes in the generator jar without accessing the net for it.
> >
> > See the DTDResolver.resolveEntity() code.
> >
> > Please make yourself heard if you find a reason for the current
> > behaviour. I'm going to change it if I hear nothing.
>
> I guess the question is, why the resolver tries to get another DTD at
> all. I thought the structure of the XML was tied to the particular
> generator version. Validating against another DTD doesn't make sense and
> can cause errors. So my suggestion is to validate against the built-in
> DTD *only*, no matter what DTD is referenced in the XML file.
>
> Bye, Thomas.

Hm, I can imagine "legal" reasons for using another DTD. Maybe someone
wants to enforce using just a subset of features by having his own dtd. Or
someone might want to add additional elements and attributes to use the
same xml file for Torque and something else.

So "forcing" a validation against a specific dtd is a bad thing in my
opinion. That said, the solution I proposed above is also "bad" insofar as
it does not allow the user not to validate against a dtd. So my new
proposal would be that if the user decides not to use any dtd (for whatever
reason), we allow him not using a dtd (and not force the torque dtd on
him.)

Besides, always using the Torque dtd for validating is very
counterintuitive in my opinion (and probably against the xml specs).

    Thomas