db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Monroe" <Greg.Mon...@DukeCE.com>
Subject Table and Column name mapping issues
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:27:00 GMT
I'm trying to create some generic RUNTIME code which would
allow records to be imported/exported using the DTD format
that generator task creates.  The thought is that in solving a
need we have here (moving stuff from staging to production
DBs), I might be able to have some generic runtime XML
Export/Import code to add to Torque.  E.g., export based
on a criteria with all related foreign key table records too.

However,  I've found some interesting name mapping problems
in trying to do this. I'll open a issue and include a patch, but
before starting I thought I'd poll folks for what the "right" way
to fix this is.

The basic problem is that the DTD uses the JavaName conventions
for table and columns names but the Map classes use the SQL
names. So how do you dynamically create an export record since
the JavaName information from the Schema XML does not seem
to be carried over into the runtime environment?

There seem to be two choices to deal with this.  The first is to
modify the DTD Generator task to allow for SQL names. Maybe
just simply adding a option flag here.  This seems simple but
you end up with two DTD which describe the same set of data
and the possiblity of tag and/or attribute names that don't meet
the XML specs.

The second is to change the Mapping classes to store both the
JavaName info and the SQL info.  This is more complex because
it involves the templates and the base classes.  On the other
hand, it would end up making the Map classes a more flexible.

So, which approach (or is there one I missed) do folks think
would work best?

TIA.

Greg

Greg Monroe    <Monroe@DukeCE.com>    (919)680-5050