db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: NPE when reading LargeSelect objects from serialized storage
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 05:19:47 GMT
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> I use Torque and Turbine in a web application. The application is
> deployed to Tomcat 5.0. Now if Tomcat reloads the application (which
> happens quite often during development and debugging), the sessions
> will be serialized and de-serialized. I have a couple of LargeSelect
> objects in the session storage. When these are loaded again, the
> object restarts the query thread. This fails, however, with a
> NullPointerException in TorqueInstance.getDB(). All data looks fine if
> I debug into the code. I suspect a race condition with the
> initialization of Torque but I'm not sure.
>
> This behaviour is new with version 3.2 and probably tied to the new
> serialization/de-serializion code in LargeSelect.
>
> Anybody cares to comment? Scott?

I haven't looked at my session serialization problems for a while - I
didn't see much point looking too carefully at LargeSelect until
Criteria had been sorted.  I attempted to deal with Criteria in 3.2 but
haven't had time available to look at LargeSelect to see if any problems
remain there.

The LargeSelectTest class in the test project includes a commented out
serialization test that includes further comments (possibly a little out
of date).  This is probably the best place to start if you want to look
into this.

Scott

--
Scott Eade