db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: proposal for reorganizing the Torque site
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:54:20 GMT
> First, I like the new overview details but IMHO the
> Torque "elevator speech" (i.e. how you describe a
> project/product in the time it takes to go 3 floors
> in an elevator) could use some editorial tweaking.
> Not exactly sure what, but maybe more towards how
> Torque makes code DB independent and programmer's
> life easier.  I'll give it some thought and make
> my suggestion here.

Please do. Db-independency is a good point, but please do not
overemphasize it. Not all features of Torque work on all databases (we do
not like to make promises but not keep them later)

> Second, I think that the How-To's are lost by being
> placed in the "All Components" area.  Ideally, they
> should be under the main Documentation section, but
> if it's hard, then maybe relabel the All components
> link to How-Tos or something that includes How-Tos
> in it.

Yes, I agree I am not too lucky with "all components". It is a bit
difficult to find a common headline for the list of supported databases
and the howtos for all components. That stems from a time when I still had
some how-tos in the runtime. But now that they are gone, we could make two
sections, one would be "howtos" and the other would be "supported
databases". That is much better than the original suggestion.

> Next, I first thought that the Criteria How-To
> and some othere were missing and then I realized you
> had rolled them into the Runtime reference.. nice.
> One minor suggestion would be to add an "Overview"
> section to this.  Something that would set the
> context for all the other sections.

That would be the page "Torque 3.2 runtime -> reference". At the moment,
this page just contains the table of contents. Any suggestions are
welcome, maybe I'll have a go myself.

> Finally, just a minor thing.. should the order
> be Generator and then Runtime since that's the
> learning Torque order?  (Being an Ant user, I
> consider the Mavin plug-in as optional reading
> ...lol 8) ).

I'll put the runtime after the maven plugin. Thanks a lot for your
suggestions, they are very helpful.

     Thomas

communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you
may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please
not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email,
its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.