db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject proposal for reorganizing the Torque site
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:13:34 GMT
Hi,

In the last months, I grew more and more uncomfortable with the current
organisation of the Torque homepage, http://db.apache.org/torque.

The things I like least about it are

- when you change to a component of Torque (e.g. the runtime), the menu on
the left hand side "jumps" and you cannot get back via the menu to the
overview (you have to discover the links in the header)

- There is a lot of information scattered in the homepage, but it is very
difficult to locate the information.

So I went for it and tried to design a new page organisation, where the
issues above are resolved. The suggestion can be found at
http://people.apache.org/~tfischer/torque-docs/

Please have a look and write back whether you like the reorganisation or
not. I have rewritten and reviewed a lot of information in the runtime
(that was where the chaos was largest because that was once our top-evel
page), but of course also the new site is not perfect (though in my
opinion it is loads better than our present site). I am grateful for any
hint what is missing or wrong (e.g. I did not yet incorporate Greg's
suggestion for an ant user guide), but please also judge the general
concept.

Implementation Details:
The method to avoid the jumping menu is to create a "skeleton menu"
for the site which is incorporated in every component (basically this is
the part of the menu where all items are closed) The disadvantage of
this is that it is very difficult to change that skeleton after publishing
the site, so I tried hard to create a very general skeleton.

I had to create two new subcomponents of Torque for this. One is the
tutorial (which in my opinion should live in its own component, anyway),
the other is docs-all-components where versioned docs which are not
attributable to a single Torque component (e.g. the database howtos) are
located.

This is just a suggestion. I did not check in any of this to svn.

   I look forward to hear your opinion

     Thomas