db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: logkit, xml-apis and xercesImpl needed in runtime ?
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:05:56 GMT

Thomas Vandahl <tv@apache.org> schrieb am 28.12.2005 17:46:06:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> > in my opinion, the runtime does not depend on the libraries logkit,
> > xml-apis and xercesImpl. If everybody agrees, I'd like to remove them
> > from the dependency list of the runtime.
>
> The logkit is part of the Avalon framework which is in fact needed at
> runtime.

As far as I have seen, Avalon is needed because Torque supports the avalon
lifecycle. So this is not something we depend upon, we just need the avalon
jar for compilation reference.
However, I have not found any direct references to logkit classes. In my
opinion, it is the responsibility of the avalon user to set up avalon
correctly, and if avalon needs logkit, avalon should provide it, not
Torque. Or to put it in other words: I would guess that we do not supply
all libraries avalon needs for running, so why should we provide this
particular one ? (My guess is that we provided it because it was needed in
the runtimetest some time ago).

> I suggest updating the dependencies to the latest versions
> anyway. I can do that if you want, but I don't want to interfere with
> your work.

Go ahead, please. I just removed the logkit, xml-apis and xercesImpl
libaries locally and saw that everything seems to be normal.

   ThomasF