db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Discussion: Change torque JDBCTransformTask to not use xerces
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:04:28 GMT
This is a proposal for a post-rc2, pre-rc3 change!

I've seen that Thomas is ramping up the rc2 release and I don't want
to interfere with this (and his well-deserved vacation :-) ).

However, I'd like to give Thomas a chance to throw in a word or two
before he leaves. :-)

If you compile the torque-generator from the trunk using JDK 1.4 and
comment out the JDK 1.4 included xerces and xml-api dependencies, you
will notice that the generator no longer compiles.

The reason for this is the JDBCTransformTask which uses the
org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl and a number of other, internal
classes directly (though DocumentImpl e.g. contains the notice "Usage
of this class is not supported. It may be altered or removed at any
time."  (see http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/xerces2/org/apache/xerces/dom/DocumentImpl.html))

When using JDK 1.3, this does hurt only a little bit; because this JDK
release does not contain javax.xml or org.w3c.dom packages, you will
have to include xerces and xml-apis anyway.

But on JDK 1.4, you get about a Megabyte of dependencies that are
actually not used at all except for this lone task. Which is not even
a correct use case. :-)

I therefore would like to rewrite the current JDBCTransformTask using
some other XML writing library. jdom (150k) or dom4j (300k) come to
mind. It shouldn't be too hard and putting some unit tests on top will
help here.

Opinions?

	Best regards
		Henning