db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vand...@tewisoft.de>
Subject Re: LargeSelect and databases which do not support native limit/offset
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:09:35 GMT
Scott Eade wrote:

> My only comment would be that as a heavy user of LargeSelect, if I were
> to ever switch to a database that did not support limit and offset I
> could not easily produce an executing (though obviously poorly
> performing when it comes to LargeSelect) version of my application.
>
> I would prefer us to add an appropriately worded statement in the docs
> and javadocs highlighting the issue with a recommendation that it not be
> used for the affected databases.

I agree with that. I would rather log a warning than throwing an
exception. I used part of the code of LargeSelect to provide a similar
interface to a server application of ours. This one does not have
limit/offset support at all, but using the LargeSelect approach is still
  much faster than loading the whole result list. So basically I
recommed to leave the decision about performance to the developer.

BTW: Findbugs complains about poor synchronization in LargeSelect. I
could not really make sense of it. If someone could give me a hint, I
hereby volunteer to look into it.

Bye, Thomas.