db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Torque Subversion Repo Reorganization complete
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:49:50 GMT
Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:

>Henning,

>I have been able to run the build and the runtimetest against
>postgres, mysql and the part that runs against hsqldb against hsqldb from
>the trunks directory. I have not been able to build the different parts of

Cool.

>the project from their respective trunk. It complains about having to
>define currentVersion in the POM, si this should be eeasy to fix. Will
>look into it tomorrow.

Are you sure that you went into <part>/trunk ? This is exactly the error
mesage that you get when you just do 'cd <part>'. I tried all the modules
one more time and they build fine.

>I would also like to look into some details (like running the dist target
>from the various places) at some time, but this can also happen when the
>stuff is live.

Ok.

>Only thing we need still to think about is the runtimetest. Running it on
>a directory which is pulled out of svn:externals is not optimal, because
>one needs to commit changes before one can pull them out again. So one
>cannot check if a change broke something before commiting.

>The optimal solution would be to have two possibilities to run the
>runtimetest:
>1) run it against the version installed in the local repository (fast
>version)

Doesn't really help you because RTT tests all parts of Torque:
Generator, Templates and Runtime

>2) do a reactor build of all projects in their respective trunks, install
>them to the local repository, and then proceed with 1)

This implies that all the trunks must be checked out, so you are back
to square #1. The reactor is not exactly clever. It just runs all
"project.xml" files in sub-directories.

To be honest: Only developers will run the runtime test and only the
ones who are "in the know". It took me > 1 year and a hint from Martin
to find out about the runtime test.

To me, the current solution is fine. If you want to work on Torque,
you will check out the "trunks" anyway. The "main" trees are more
interesting to keep the code organized and for browsing by users.

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42