db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Subversion reorganisation?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:13:41 GMT
Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:

>this looks very good to me. Excluding subpackages in the source
>directory causes lots of problems in the build. But, being not so

That's what I thought. :-)

>experienced in subversion and maven, I have some stupid questions

>- would the runtime, generator, templates and the maven-plugin be
>"independent" projects in the maven sense (i.e. would the
>project-base.xml be removed and not be replaced) ?

Yes they would. However, the files would not be removed.

All files common to the three parts would be moved into the "common"
module. In the sub projects, you add a subversion property to the tree
which is svn:externals

common	https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/torque/common/

this will pull the "common" directory automatically into the three sub
projects. Inside of these, you will just refer
"common/project-base.xml" as you did currently with "project-base.xml,
../../project-base.xml" and so on. The module will be the same for all
three projects and still have its own tree in subversion.

>- Instead of having different trunks for the runtime, generator etc it
>would also be possible to have one trunk, and runtime, generator etc as
>subdirectories. It seems to me that different trunks is better for keeping
>things decoupled, but one cannot have relative paths between the different
>parts of the projects any more. Or is this what the trunks directory is
>for ?

Yes. I got this idea from the jakarta/commons tree. Inside of
"trunks", there will be svn:external references for all sub projects,
so if you check out the trunks directory, you will get

trunks/runtime          <--- same as runtime/trunk
trunks/generator        <--- same as generator/trunk
trunks/templates        <--- same as templates/trunk

and inside of this "trunks" could also be e.g. a global maven.xml file
which does a reactor build of all three projects.

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42