db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: jdk 1.3 support in torque generator
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:06:26 GMT
Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:

>Hi,

>I am unsure about whether we should still support jdk 1.3.x in the
>generator. If we would drop it, we could also drop the dependencies on
>jndi.jar and jdbc.jar, which are awful as they cannot be obtained from
>ibiblio, but have to be downloaded from sun, unpacked, renamed and put
>into the right directory in the maven local repository in order to run the
>maven plugin. For JDK 1.4 and later, this is not necessary any more
>because the jars are already contained in the jdk.

Basically I'm -0 on this. While I don't really care for 1.3 backwards
compatibility (I do see your point), I know that there are lots of
projects stuck on 1.3 for various reasons.

Personally I would have no qualms if we require 1.4 for building
torque (make sure that you set 1.3 compatibility in the
build.properties) and state in the docs that torque will still run on
1.3 (+JNDI + JDBC).

>I would like to comment out the dependency on jndi and jdbc in the
>generator's project xml and put a note 1) in the project xml itself and 2)
>on the generator homepage to uncomment the dependecies if one uses jdk
>1.3. This would imply that people using jdk 1.3 would have to build the
>generator from source.

+1 for that.

>Note that the runtime should still support JDK 1.3 out of the box
>(However, I am not sure about it because I did not try it lately)

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure that you need jdbc.jar for some data
sources and definitely jndi for the JNDI based DS. I will not crash
and burn immediately though.

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42