db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Coding conventions
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:45:13 GMT
Hi,

Let me first try to explain the problem which I have:

At the moment, we do not have a clearly defined code style at the moment.
So the db guidelines say that we have to use SUNs coding conventions. But
these standards are NOT used by anybody commiting Torque code at the
moment, nor does our existing code comply: Two things that strike me
instantly is that SUN promotes an indent of 8 spaces, while we use four.
Also, SUN promotes that opening curly braces should be at the end of the
line, while we use an extra line.

Now I wanted to put a document somewhere where our current style is laid
down, so 1) we comply to the db project guidelines, and 2) new developers
or people submitting a patch can read it. And becaue we already use the
turbine style, I did not think that a discussion was necessary, but I was
wrong, obviously. (I should have learnt that by now. Never start talking
about coding conventions. NEVER !)

Perhaps I did not make this clear, but I do NOT AT ALL propose to reformat
any existing code. I am talking about new code.

I also did not check the emacs styles in the tubine style sheet, I was
going by the human-readable part. By the way, I do not think there are
many people using emacs now that eclipse is around, but I might also be
wrong there.

I would also heartily agree with your final advice, but I do think we
should say something about the preferences we have. And from what I
have seen, people writing code for Torque prefer 4 spaces indent over 8
spaces indent (and abhor tabs), and like to have their opening curly
braces in new lines.

      Thomas