db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r240328 - in /db/torque:
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:15:30 GMT
So many new mails, I get confused which to answer first ! starting with
the easy one...

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> tfischer@apache.org writes:
>> Made the generated beans serializable. Also added a testcase to the runtimetest which
checks that.
> I'm not sure that this is a good idea without having a switch to be
> able to turn it on/off.

Hm. Bean generation is turned off by default. If you do not want to
transfer them over a network, you will typically not use them. They are
of no use if you use them in the same jvm, as they are just a subset of
the properties of the "normal" Torque object (only that they do know
nothing of a database). And if you want to transfer them, they
should be serializable.

> With the beans suddently be serializable, you buy a whole wealth of
> possible problems with e.g. beans ending up in Servlet container
> sessions that in turn get serialized at restart time.
> Adding this in a RC is IMHO a bad thing, either. This is 3.3 stuff
> (because it could break existing code in a new and exciting way...).

Beans came in first in 3.2-RC1. I would expect that things which came in
new can change over the Release process, but maybe I am wrong there.

Henning, if you still think that the serializable should be configurable
with default to "off", no problem with that. Just reply and I'll do it.