db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jdk 1.3 support in torque generator
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:54:33 GMT

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:
>> I would like to comment out the dependency on jndi and jdbc in the
>> generator's project xml and put a note 1) in the project xml itself and 2)
>> on the generator homepage to uncomment the dependecies if one uses jdk
>> 1.3. This would imply that people using jdk 1.3 would have to build the
>> generator from source.
>
> +1 for that.

As I wrote in a follow-up email, this was already done somewhere before
the Torque 3.1.1 release. I do not know if the notes in the docs exist,
though. I will look into it.

>> Note that the runtime should still support JDK 1.3 out of the box
>> (However, I am not sure about it because I did not try it lately)
>
> Don't think so. I'm pretty sure that you need jdbc.jar for some data
> sources and definitely jndi for the JNDI based DS. It will not crash
> and burn immediately though.

Yes, but if you supply jdbc and jndi in the classpath, it should work,
shouldn't it ?

Before we put out the final release, I am going to try what it needs for
the generator and runtime to run on JDK 1.3. I will also try to release
the runtime using a JDK 1.3 compiler.

    Thomas