db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: CfV: Start release Cycle for Torque 3.2
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:59:50 GMT
Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> writes:

>Hi,

>We have not been able to do the following things:
>- create a good documentation (except the tutorial, but this was already in the
>last release). I know there are other opinions about the tutorial, maybe
>we'll be able to get some improvements in.

ok.

>- replace village (and fix the village-associated bugs)

I wrote something about this a long time ago and had some conversation
with Jon Stevens about this. His opinion was basically "no, I will not
give the code to the ASF". However, the code _is_ under ASF 1 like
license, so a fork outside the ASF would IMHO be possible.

If you are interested in this and look for a starting point; you can get

http://henning.schmiedehausen.org/code/village-260.tar.gz

which is a snapshot of my internal subversion tree of village. This is
basically CVS head from share.whichever.com, cleaned up a bit and
added a maven build. I once intended to work on this but I have a few
new ideas which I want to intigue Thomas with @ ApacheCon. :-)

>- make the data-sql tasks run with more exotic data types (blobs,
>timestamps...)

yep.

>Nevertheless, in my opinion the current cvs version has significantly more
>features than the old one, has fixed a number of bugs, and therefore cutting a
>new release is justified.

Good.

>[X] +1 Yes, Torque 3.2-rc1 should be released soon (in this month)
>[ ] 0  I do not care
>[ ] -1 No

>I would volunteer as a release manager, though I will need some help as I have
>never done an apache project release before.

I'm here, I'm unfortunately just lurking ATM (Hint, hint... ;-) ) and
I can help you even in person if you plan to do this @ ApacheCon.

If you do, you should definitely create yourself a GPG key for the
signing and bring it to AC to get it signed by a number of other
Apache people.

	Regards
		Henning

"Now you can start with implementation and integration and do the
requirements later".  -- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Manfred Broy about the new
german federal software development standard "V-Model XT"
(found at http://de.biz.yahoo.com/050207/299/4en0t.html)