db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From <Martin.Gou...@sungard.com>
Subject RE: Start release Cycle for Torque 3.2
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:13:01 GMT
[X] +1 Yes, Torque 3.2-rc1 should be released soon (in this month)
[ ] 0  I do not care
[ ] -1 No

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Fischer [mailto:tfischer@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:47 AM
To: torque-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: CfV: Start release Cycle for Torque 3.2

Hi,

It is now more than seven months ago that the last release was made, and
in my
opinion it is time to go for a new one. Therefore I would like to hear
opinions whether we should start going for a new release, i.e. whether a

release candidate should be published in the course of the next month.

>From my point of view, the current situation is at follows:
We have managed to do the following things:
- added schema support, both in the runtime and in the generator
- added support for outer joins
- added support for creation of simple java beans from persistent
objects
- the old connection pool is removed (only dbcp supported out of the
box)
- the db.props are replaced by the platform classes
- a reusable domain element was added in the generator
- fixed quite a number of bugs (except the village-related ones)

We have not been able to do the following things:
- create a good documentation (except the tutorial, but this was already
in the
last release). I know there are other opinions about the tutorial, maybe

we'll be able to get some improvements in.
- replace village (and fix the village-associated bugs)
- make the data-sql tasks run with more exotic data types (blobs,
timestamps...)

Nevertheless, in my opinion the current cvs version has significantly
more
features than the old one, has fixed a number of bugs, and therefore
cutting a
new release is justified.

Of course there are things to do before the first release candidate can
be made
available. I volunteer to do the following tasks:
- look through the generated site and remove some outdated information
- make sure that the build-torque.xml is in the release (I will
certainly be
shot if it isn't ;-)
- make sure that the source distributions work

So, to put it into a nutshell,
shall we start the release cycle for Torque 3.2 ?

[ ] +1 Yes, Torque 3.2-rc1 should be released soon (in this month)
[ ] 0  I do not care
[ ] -1 No

Voting is subject to the rules described in
http://db.apache.org/decisions.html.
The deadline is Sun 17 Jul 2005, 12:00 CEST
Note that the PMC has the final word on whether the release is published

or not.

I would volunteer as a release manager, though I will need some help as
I have
never done an apache project release before.

     Thomas