db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject CfV: Start release Cycle for Torque 3.2
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:47:08 GMT
Hi,

It is now more than seven months ago that the last release was made, and in my
opinion it is time to go for a new one. Therefore I would like to hear
opinions whether we should start going for a new release, i.e. whether a
release candidate should be published in the course of the next month.

>From my point of view, the current situation is at follows:
We have managed to do the following things:
- added schema support, both in the runtime and in the generator
- added support for outer joins
- added support for creation of simple java beans from persistent objects
- the old connection pool is removed (only dbcp supported out of the box)
- the db.props are replaced by the platform classes
- a reusable domain element was added in the generator
- fixed quite a number of bugs (except the village-related ones)

We have not been able to do the following things:
- create a good documentation (except the tutorial, but this was already in the
last release). I know there are other opinions about the tutorial, maybe
we'll be able to get some improvements in.
- replace village (and fix the village-associated bugs)
- make the data-sql tasks run with more exotic data types (blobs,
timestamps...)

Nevertheless, in my opinion the current cvs version has significantly more
features than the old one, has fixed a number of bugs, and therefore cutting a
new release is justified.

Of course there are things to do before the first release candidate can be made
available. I volunteer to do the following tasks:
- look through the generated site and remove some outdated information
- make sure that the build-torque.xml is in the release (I will certainly be
shot if it isn't ;-)
- make sure that the source distributions work

So, to put it into a nutshell,
shall we start the release cycle for Torque 3.2 ?

[ ] +1 Yes, Torque 3.2-rc1 should be released soon (in this month)
[ ] 0  I do not care
[ ] -1 No

Voting is subject to the rules described in
http://db.apache.org/decisions.html.
The deadline is Sun 17 Jul 2005, 12:00 CEST
Note that the PMC has the final word on whether the release is published
or not.

I would volunteer as a release manager, though I will need some help as I have
never done an apache project release before.

     Thomas