db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject library versions, dead files and maven project-base.xml
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:01:28 GMT
Hi,

I have gone through the libraries Torque depens on and seen if
there is a newer version available. Those are the updates I would suggest:

package               old version   new version
commons-beanutils     1.6.1         1.7.0
commons-collections   3.0           3.1
commons-configuration 1.0           1.1
commons-lang          2.0           2.1
xercesImpl            2.4.0         2.6.2
xml-apis              1.0.b2        2.0.2
ant                   1.5.1         1.6.5

Also, no direct reference is made to log4j in the runtime. I have tried to
remove the dependency, and it seems to work. I wouls uggest to remove the
dependency log4j frm the runtime only.

Note that velocity is not updated to 1.4, I have heard rumours that
version 1.4 has a memory leak (but I have also heard rumours that the
current velocity version chokes in very large files, so not sure whether
the memory leak is not already there in 1.3.1)

There was also a posting in the users list of someone who had problems
using ant 1.6.2 and build-torque.xml, but he was using Torque 3.0.2.
I have checked the current dev release and it runs without problems
against ant 1.6.2, so my opinion is that we should update ant as well.

There are some bugs in commons-dbcp regarding oracle and transaction
isolation, but unfortunately there is no new release available. I would
suggest to stick to commons-dbcp-1.2.1; the people experiencing problems
should provide their own version.

There is also an old file called build.xml in the main directory which I
would like to remove, but I am not sure whether somebody ore something
(gump ???) needs it (NO, its NOT the build-torque.xml I am talking about
!)

Are there any objections, suggestions, comments ?

The current setup using a project-base.xml is problematic as it leads to a
non-working source distribution of the generator. In the generator source
distribution, the project.xml is included, where (in the case of the
generator) a reference is made to project-base.xml via relative path:
<extend>../../project-base.xml</extend>
Of course, in the generator source distribution, this file does not exist,
so "maven jar" fails in the generator source distribution.
I have no idea how this can be resolved except inserting the contents of
the project-base.xmi in the project.xml of both generato and runtime. I
will ask also on the maven users list, but perhaps someone has a better
solution here ?

     Thomas