db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject closing Datasources at Torque.shutdown()
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:12:18 GMT
Hi,

I would like to close DataSources initialized by Torque if
Torque.shutdown() is called. To do this, I'd like to add a close()-method
to the interface DataSourceFactory.

Closing works fine for SharedPoolDataSourceFactory and
PerUserPoolDataSourceFactory. It does not work, however, for
DataSourceFactories deployed/retrieved via JNDI. This has two reasons:
- First, one does not want to close Pools retrieved via JNDI. Other
applications might use the same Datasource. Also, because we have not
deployed the Datasource, we are not responsible for shutting it down.
- Second, even if we have deployed the Datasource, it is very problematic
to shut it down because the interface DataSource does not have a close()
method or anything similar. As any DataSource can be deployed, we do not
know how to shut it down. One might think "See if it is a DBCP Datasource,
if yes, we know how to shut it down, let's do it" is also no good solution
because it is a very unintuitive behaviour and can lead to very strange
errors.

Does anybody have any problems with that, or any suggestions to improve
the behaviour ?

             Thomas