db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From jme...@chubb.com
Subject Re: Integration with Spring --> development effort started
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 14:50:27 GMT

Thomas,

thanks for your reply.  I will post another message to the users list.  The
response from the
Spring list has been slow also,  but i think i have a good start at least.
The basic idea of Springs' ORM support is to create a wrapper around the
ORM tool.  This enables you to have the Spring wrapper classes throw
exceptions that are common between different ORM tools.  It also enables
you to have a common method of performing transactions across ORM
frameworks.  I still have alot of testing to do as the code is only stubbed
out at the moment.  I will keep you posted as to my progress.

John Menke

Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> wrote on 05/22/2005 04:29:54 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I have never worked with Spring so I am probably the wrong person to ask
> about this. I am also sorry to say that, although I would like to learn
> something about Spring, I simply have not got the time at the moment.
> Maybe there will be better times.
>
> This does NOT mean that I am not willing to help you in your effort, but
> my comments will not be very Spring aware. Simply post any questions you
> got to the Torque users list (maybe this will also attract more
> people who are interested to use Torque with Spring)
>
> Please keep us informed about your progress
>
>            Thomas
>
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 jmenke@chubb.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My name is John Menke.  A long time back i contributed some
documentation
> > to the Torque project (torque 2).
> >
> > Recently, I have started a development effort to integrate Torque with
the
> > Spring Framework.
> >
> > On advice from Rod Johnson i have been following a simple plan:
> >

> >   <advice on how to implement ORM support in Spring>
> >   The basic concepts you'd want to consider are resource acquisition
and
> >   release, error handling, and transaction management. The Spring code
is
> >   of course the best place to look.
> >
> >   You would probably implement the following artifacts:
> >
> >   - Template (like JdbcTemplate or HibernateTemplate)
> >   - Exception translator to map from ORM exceptions into
> >   DataAccessException hierarchy
> >   - DaoSupport class, like JdbcDaoSupport, that provides a convenient
> >   (optional) superclass for implementing user DAOs
> >   - Session factory implementation, like LocalSessionFactoryBean
> >
> >   You could also look at the chapter on data access inJ2EE without EJB,
> >   which explains the concepts.
> >
> >   Rgds
> >   Rod[/list]
> >   </advice on how to implement ORM support in Spring>
> >

> >    I have started work on the above and posted this message to the
Spring