db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject BLOB and CLOB Torque datatypes
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 19:46:52 GMT
Hi,

I am pondering about which datatypes should be mapped to the Torque BLOB
and CLOB types, and which should not. Background is that "real" Blob and
CLOB data types are handled differently by the jdbc drivers than other
types, in the sense that for a CLOB or BLOB column, one does not get the
value directly, but a stream from which one can read (or into which one
can write). So, in a sense, for "normal" datatypes, you get the
value directly, for BLOB/CLOB, you get a reference. Torque hides this
different behaviour from the user.

So I would suggest that we define a minimum length for which we assume
that a column is a "large object". For the columns that I have in mind to
change (Postgresql BYTEA-> Blob, HSQLDB LONGVARBINARY -> BLOB, HSQLDB
LONGVARCHAR -> CLOB) these objects can be up to 2^32 bytes/characters
long. But if a data type in a database meets this length criterium, we do
not care whether it can be accessed in a blob-scpecific way or not, we
just map the BLOB/CLOB Torque types to these values.

Any comments, objections etc ?

          Thomas