db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: Torque and Village
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:25:53 GMT

Hi,

I have taken a shortish look at DdlUtils and also investigated (not in much
detail) what features of village are used by Torque.
Torque uses the following features of village which are not provided by
plain JDBC (I hope I did not miss anything):
- Mapping of sql types to java types when reading from a database
- constructing the SQL for a PreparedStatement to insert Datasets
- constructing the SQL for a PreparedStatement to modify Datasets

In my opinion, these features are not very difficult to implement.
Most (All?) of them are also implemented in DdlUtils. I have not yet formed
a personal opinion whether I would favour useing ddlUtils for these Tasks
over implementing them in Torque.
On one hand, these things are so fundamental for Torque that one would like
to have full control over what happens within Torque. Also, the modelling
of the database is different for Torque and DdlUtils, which makes
integration difficult. In fact, Torque has two models, one for the
generator and one for the runtime :-(.
On the other hand, there is duplicate programming effort and duplicate
maintenance. Also, from what I have seen, the use cases for Torque and
DdlUtils overlap somehow, so that it might be possible to concentrate
efforts even further. Using a dynamical bean to read from a database might
be a useful feature for Torque users, so perhaps one could make it easy to
use ddlUtils feature within Torque.
I have to do further research to forma an opinion.

By the way, are the DdlUtils mailing lists archived somewhere? I Did not
find them on nagoya, but then, you said there was still some dust in the
air.

   Thomas

Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk@gmail.com> schrieb am 26.04.2005 14:12:24:

> > To prevent duplicate development efforts, also note that the project
> > previously known as "Jakarta Commons SQL" has graduated from the
Jakarta