db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: Torque and Village
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:33:53 GMT

Hi,

In my personal opinion, forking village would be a good short-term solution
(because currently Torque as not got the manpower to rewrite the DB
Access). It would alleviate the problem that at the moment, there is no
central place to collect village patches. Therefore, I would support such a
step.

In the long term, however, I believe that village should not be used in
Torque anymore, but that the code should be rewritten inside Torque. The
reasons are the following shortcomings of village:

- Village uses jdbc metadata to collect information about the database.
However, with Torque, this is completely unneccessary as the information
about the database is already collected in the generated MapBuilders.

- Village does not know about different databases accessed by it. This
leads to errors like http://issues.apache.org/scarab/issues/id/TRQS285 .

- Village does not log the statements it uses for inserts and updates,
making debugging difficult.

          Thomas