db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Fabio Insaccanebbia <finsaccaneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Torque and Village
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:39:48 GMT
Hi everybody,

I've tried to make a patch and solve a couple of Torque problems with Oracle Integration (DATE
and BLOB management) and it turned out that they are dependent on some Village choices (*).
I tried to write some patch but unfortunately there's no way to contribute them back because
Village project is no longer mantained.

I read on the mailing list that this issue has been already raised and the last news were
that someone was trying to "fork" it. There has been some progress in this task? Have somebody
contacted the author to hear if he would allow us to contribute patches by putting the code
on a read-write cvs?

I mean: it is not necessary to ask to donate the code to Apache Foundation. It would be sufficient
to put the code on a developer site who could host it and allow developers to contribute back
patches. Otherwise the only other options are:
- forking (into the Torque project?)
- replacing it with another DB Layer (any proposal?)
- write a Torque DB Layer (could it mimic Village API? and use the original Village jar to
have a "compatibility layer"?)

Any feedback?

Thanks,
Fabio

(*) they aren't Village "bugs". They would work if every RDBMS in the world fully respected
ANSI SQL specifications and the JDBC drivers would be fully compliant... unfortunately, that's
not the case :-(

--

Fabio Insaccanebbia

INSAC.COM