db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: deprecate lockTable() and unlockTable() methods in adapter
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:21:01 GMT

Hi Tarlika,

it seems that everything in Torque is used by somebody - no chance to clear
up ;-)
Ok, I will not do it.

By the way, why do you need to lock tables ? I thought postgresql is
capable of serializable transactions. In my experience, locking is only
needed if one does not have serializable transactions (or does not want to
use them).

      Thomas

T E Schmitz <mailreg@numerixtechnology.de> schrieb am 28.03.2005 12:53:16:

> Hello Thomas,
>
> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> > I have noticed that the adapter contains two methods, lockTable() and
> > unlockTable(), which are not used by Torque (anymore ?). The
implementation
> > of these methods is in some cases not existant, in other cases
questionable
> > (e.g. in Oracle, tables are unlocked by a commit, so the unlockTable
does a
> > commit, which is not at all the expected behaviour.)
> >
> > It seems that locking and unlocking a table cannot be made to look the
same
> > over all Dbs. To reflect this, I would like to deprecate these methods
in
> > order to remove them in a future release (Torque 3.3 at the soonest).
Any