db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Hendrik Busch <hendrik.bu...@lexisnexis.de>
Subject Missing close-operations for Statements
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:23:42 GMT
Hi!

We are currently porting major pieces of our software from MySQL to
Oracle. I'm currently stuck with the Oracle "too many open cursors"
failure. Having checked our own software first I have checked the Torque
sources next.
The most notable thing I found when searching for unclosed
JDBC-resources were the missing close()-calla to the Statements used in
the many DB adapters, including the Oracle adapter. Most methods look
like this:

public void lockTable(Connection con, String table) throws SQLException
{
	Statement statement = con.createStatement();

         StringBuffer stmt = new StringBuffer();
         stmt.append("SELECT next_id FROM ")
                 .append(table)
                 .append(" FOR UPDATE");

         statement.executeQuery(stmt.toString());
}

The used statement does remain open. Was this done on purpose with an
intention I don't see or did someone simply forget to close the
Statements? Since we are performing database operations with a very high
rate, those things sometimes tend to cause problems.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Hendrik Busch - Senior Developer

LexisNexis Deutschland GmbH