db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject autoincrement and primary keys
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:22:31 GMT
Hi,

I have just ran the runtimetest for mysql with idMethod="native". Mysql
uses autoincrement columns as native id methods. The runtimetest fails
because primary keys are not autoincrement by default (i.e. the id is
set to zero, if the attribute "uatoIncrement" is not set for the primary
key.). This is different to the behaviour in the databases which use sequences or if the Idbroker

is used. There, the ids are generated automatically without explicitly
specifying that the column should be autoIncremented.

I would like to change the default behaviour of Databases which use
autoincrement as native id generation such that autoIncrement is turned on
per default for primary keys, idMethod=native and
defaultIdMethod=identity. The defaultIdMethod=identity part assures that
autoincrement is the db's preferred method for creating ids. This is
necessary because there seem to be databases (e.g. sapdb) which support
both autoincrement and sequences.

In order to be able to turn autoIncrement off for single columns in a
table with composite primary key, I would also like to remove the
default value "false" of the autoIncrement attribute of the column element
in the database.dtd. This would reflect the above change. The programmatic
default value would be "false" in every case except the primaryKey
behaviour mentioned above. It would then be possible to override the
default behaviour by explicitly setting autoIncrement to "false" in a case
where the default value is "true".

I would welcome any comments about this.

    Thomas