db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From M Flood <mdfl...@starpower.net>
Subject A Torque book?
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:36:06 GMT
Greetings all:

I am someone who's struggled through to a basic understanding of
Torque.  I love the thing.  But the documentation?  Oy.

Has any thought been given to a more cohesive and comprehensive
reference -- e.g., an O'Reilly <http://www.oreilly.com/> "Apache
Torque:  The Definitive Guide", or a Manning <http://www.manning.com/>
"Apache Torque in Action"?  The pieces are mostly there already, on the
Torque site, the wiki, and the forums, but:  (a) there are significant
differences across versions, and the online docs do not always stay in
sync with the app; (b) users are required to google several places and
assess the credibility/relevance of discussions to assemble an answer to
questions; and (c) there is a lack of consistent format to guide the
learning process.

I really think improved documentation would open up widespread
acceptance of Torque.  Please give it some thought.  I don't see any
other open-source java O/R layers that give me the kind of flexibility
that Torque does, in the sense that the database design can remain fully
decoupled from the object model.  That makes it architecturally superior
to Hibernate, JDO, Castor, etc., (IMHO).

Thanks -- Mark Flood