db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <Fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject CVS comparison : HEAD vs TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:55:56 GMT

Hi all,

hoping to be able at some point to clear up the CVS mess (TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
being the active development branch, but some improvements being made only
in HEAD), I compared the files in the branches HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH.
I did not look deeply into the features implemented in the one or the other
branch, I just compared the commited changes rather superficially on a "in
this branch there are changes which are not in the other branch" basis. The
goal was to find out whether and where it makes sense to replace the HEAD
branch with the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH.

In short, I came to the following conclusion: In almost every place, there
would be no big changes lost if HEAD was replaced by the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH.
The big exception to this is the generator: There, a lot of changes appear
in HEAD which do not appear in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH. However, in the
generator, there were also some changes made to the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH which
do not appear in HEAD, but the changes in HEAD seem to affect much more
files and seem to me much more substantial. I have appenbded the detailed
list of the changes I found at the end of the mail. It was a manual
process, so if I missed something, don't kill me ;-)

So in my opinion, it would make sense to replace HEAD by the
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH and port the few additional changes over from HEAD to
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, except probably in the generator. Has anybody used the
generator in HEAD and has experiences with it ?

I would really appreciate feedback on this, because I would consider it a
huge step forward to have a clean CVS organisation. I am also inclined to
treat this independently from the question whether and when to move to svn,
because the question here is what to do, not how to do it. Probably,
changes would be easier in svn, but they are not impossible in CVS.

     Thomas

List of changes which are either not in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH or in HEAD: These
changes are NOT the total differences between the branches. E.g. in the
Torque runtime (src/java), there are lots of changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
which are not in HEAD, but as these would not be lost if HEAD would be
replaced by TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, these are not mentioned.
Note that in the GENERATOR section, the changes are those if
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH  would be replaced by HEAD, whereas in all the other
places, it is the other way round.

root directory: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, except:
project-base.xml: small changes
project.xml: lots of changes

conf: no difference between HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

examples: no difference between HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

notes: no difference between HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

profile: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

proposals: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

xdocs: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH,
except:
configuration-howto.xml: removed the deprecated connection pool
maven-howto.xml: Download instructions for 3.2
navigation.xml: small changes
user-guide.xml: Download instructions for 3.2

src/announcements: no difference between HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

src/conf: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, except:
master/Torque.master: removed the deprecated comnnection pool
Torque.properties: removed the deprecated comnnection pool

src/java: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

src/maven-plugin: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, except:
plugin.jelly: remove basePathToDbProps attribute in sql task definitions
project.xml: lots of changes...

src/ojbtest: no difference between HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

src/rttest: No changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, except:
SQLToAppDataTest.java: Change from AppData to Database
deletion of bookstore-schema.new
bookstore-schema.xml: setting autoincrement to true for book_id and
author_id, change dtd to database_3_2.dtd
ext-schema.xml:change dtd to database_3_2.dtd
extext-schema.xml:change dtd to database_3_2.dtd
id-table-schema.xml:change dtd to database_3_2.dtd
test-schema.xml:change dtd to database_3_2.dtd

src/sqlttest: no difference between HEAD and TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

src/test: no changes would be lost if HEAD was replaced by
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

GENERATOR(src/generator, all following directories relative to this):
no changes would be lost if TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH was replaced by HEAD, except:

src/java:
org.apache.torque.engine.database.model :
Column.java : Add the "Java Bean compliant getter names for boolean
columns" patch
Table.java : Add the "Java Bean compliant getter names for boolean columns"
patch + follow-ups
org.apache.torque.engine.database.transform :
XmlToAppData: removed tabs
XmlToData: removed tabs

src/conf:
build-torque.xml: lots of changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
default.properties: lots of changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

src/templates:
om/Control.vm: Add the "Java Bean compliant getter names for boolean
columns" patch
om/Object.vm: Lots of changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
om/ObjectWithManager.vm: Lots of changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
om/Peer.vm: Lots of changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
sql/base/derby only exists in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH and therefore does not
incorporate changes made in HEAD
sql/base/postgresql/columns.vm : changes to sequence definitions
sql/base/postgresql/sequence.vm : changes to sequence definitions
sql/base/postgresql/table.vm : changes to sequence definitions
sql/id-table/idtable.derby : only exists in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
sql/load/derby : only exists in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH

src/test/.../TableTest.java:removed tabs

xdocs:
properties-reference.xml: newer in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
build.xml: only exists in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
maven.xml: newer in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH
project.xml: lots of changes