db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject CfV: Move to Subversion [Was Re: repository (CVS/subversion ?) organisation]
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:06:05 GMT
Thomas Fischer <Fischer@seitenbau.net> writes:

>Hi.

>it seems that nobody really cares about whether the repository should be
>moved to subversion or not. So Henning, I would suggest you launch a vote
>and then do it.

[...]

>Henning, do you think the clean-up is done more easily once the repository
>is moved, or is there no difference ? I have no idea, as I did not work
>with subversion before.

_MUCH_ easier in subversion.

svn move trunk branches/torque-3.2-DEAD
svn copy branches/torque-3.1 trunk

done.

Vote: Shall we move the DB Torque repository to Subversion?

Advantages:

- Re-Organization of the HEAD and Branches would be much easier
- Decoupling of the Generator, maven plugin and runtime would be
  possible, allowing us to develop the code independently and with
  different speeds
- Most of the quirks from CVS are gone (global Revision numbers,
  easy tagging cheap copies...)

Disadvantages:

- IDE code needs to be Subversion aware (at least Eclipse has the very
  good subclipse plugin from tigris.org)
- Our maven build might (no, _will) lose some information such as the
  developer-activity or changelog plugins because they don't support
  Subversion yet.

+1 [ ] Do it, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages
 0 [ ] I don't care
-1 [ ] Don't it, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages

I can do the move between chrismas and new years eve (depending on the
right people being present @ #asfinfra).

Vote open till Dec 23th, 12:00 MET.

	Regards
		Henning