db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <Fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject repository (CVS/subversion ?) organisation
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:05:01 GMT

Hi.

it seems that nobody really cares about whether the repository should be
moved to subversion or not. So Henning, I would suggest you launch a vote
and then do it.

But before anything is done in this direction, I would like to make sure
thate once in subversion, we have a clean repository. This is not the case
at the moment because the current active development branch is the
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH and not HEAD. This leads to much confusion, as most
patches which are submitted are against HEAD and not against
TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH, see e.g.
http://nagoya.apache.org/scarab/issues/id/TRQS263.
Also, unsuspecting people which check out from CVS tend to check out the
HEAD, especially as the Torque homepage
(http://db.apache.org/torque-32/cvs-usage.html) says so (at least the
anonymous cvs access section).

As I understand, the problem is that it is not clear that some developments
in HEAD are consistent with the changes in TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH. One would
have to check these changes and see which of them should be incorporated. I
am willing to to some of the work, though I am not sure whether I can judge
all cases.

Henning, do you think the clean-up is done more easily once the repository
is moved, or is there no difference ? I have no idea, as I did not work
with subversion before.

   Thomas