db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <Fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: provide a central place for parsing column names in SQLBuilder
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:16:19 GMT

Hi,

"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hps@intermeta.de> schrieb am 14.12.2004
09:55:30:

> Thomas Fischer <Fischer@seitenbau.net> writes:
>
> >This is not the problem and can be prevented by using the javaName
> >attribute in the table description in xxx-schema.xml. There are some
> >problems in the generation of sql, the generator tries to generate
> >constaints which are applied on columns like schemaname.columnname and
not
> >schemaname.tablename.columnname. It seems that someone looks for dots
> >there....
>
> JavaName is intended to describe the _JAVA_ name of the table. Not the
> unqualified SQL table name. This can be very different from the
> tableName. If the JavaName gets polluted by the Schema, then the
> javaName generation is buggy/needs Schema support upgrade.

I do not see this occurring, no hint that anything goes wrong there.

> A table element of the schema has different elements:
>
> javaName   e.g. fooTable
> tableName   e.g. FOO_TABLE
> fullTableName   e.g. MY_SCHEMA.FOO_TABLE
>
> If we need schema support in the Java packages, we might add a switch
> (torque.useDBSchemaAsPackage = true ? =:-) )

Does the fullTableName already exist in the generator ? I currently see no
point in it, everything can be done using the javaname/tablename
disticntion, just that the tablename is a fully qualified tablename. The
database should not complain about using schemaname.tablename instead of
tablename (at least not in Oracle).

Using the schemaname as package name is problematic because all the imports
would have to be managed. Changing the package of a class is purely
aesthetic in my opinion and is not very high on my personal priority list.