db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Village dependency
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:59:08 GMT
Vidas Simkus <vidas@simkus.org> writes:

>In reference to this:
>http://db.apache.org/torque/dependencies.html

>It states that Torque requires '2.0-dev-20030825', yet there's no
>reference to that particular version anywhere on the Village site.  I
>checked out the latest version for their CVS...and the build.xml has
>'2.0-dev' as the version property.  Is this the correct version of
>Village to use?

Ok folks, I will teel you the whole and dirty truth... :-)

I tried to get the Village code donated to the ASF by whichever.com
who developed the code. However, as far as I can see, this this will
not happen.

However, the code _is_ released under BSD license. So it will be
possible to simply fork off it. While I consider it impolite without
an explicit permission from the original author, I see no other chance
to keep the base of Torque stable and add the various bug fixes that
are floating around applied _and_ get a release from this.

While many people (including the authors) do consider Village "ready"
and there is no work going on on the Village code, there are some
issues with database specific stuff (like the Oracle patches).

This cannot happen under an ASF umbrella (so I don't expect to get
org.apache.village which I really would have prefered) but it might
happen under another name. In fact, I do have the village code base
reorganized and building with maven right here; I cleaned up some of
the PMD and findbugs issues (just minor stuff) and added a few unit
tests with hsqldb (taking the TestMySQL class apart) here at the
ApacheCon Hackathlon.

I will just dump a source tarball at my home page @ apache as soon as
I get a better network connection here at Apachecon.

As Torque is probably the biggest generic Village user, we can discuss
work on @ torque-dev. Feel free to send me patches to Village that you
would like to see applied (diff -u please and a short description).

	Regards
		Henning

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security