db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: JndiDataSourceFactory
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:42:16 GMT
Thomas Vandahl <thomas.vandahl@tewisoft.de> writes:

>John McNally wrote:
>> The reason it is not cached is that the DataSource/JNDI concept allows
>> an adminstration application to change the DataSource that is bound to a
>> name and an application using that name would automatically start using
>> a different pool of connections.

>I see. Problem is, that the lookups slow down the application quite
>badly. Is there anything else one could do?

Use a cache that times out. If you implement a cache that will defer
lookups for 30 seconds or so (configureable!), then you will get the
behaviour that John described after the timeout but still get the
performance gains from having a cache.

There is an implementation of such a time-out cache in the Turbine
code base.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"