db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Shevek <she...@anarres.org>
Subject Re: [DB Torque Wiki] Updated: PostgreSQLFAQ
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:51:44 GMT
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Scott Eade wrote:

> Shevek wrote:
>
> >So now if I don't set the id-method-parameter seqName, then postgres fails
> >because it's trying to select currval from a sequence which noone has
> >selected nextval from.
> >
> >And if I do set the id-method-parameter seqName, then postgres fails
> >because it tries to create tables with a primary key sequence that Torque
> >already created.
> >
> >It looks rather like Hobson's choice, and it's documented as such at
> >

> 7.3.4 - not cutting edge, but by no means old.  If you go to the page I
> reference above and read the FAQ you will save yourself a bunch of time.

That FAQ page says under item 2 that it DOESN'T work for postgres 7.3.
It's quite right, it doesn't. It can be made to work by hacking the
generated output several times, but that isn't a solution. Please update
the code so that it does work.

> >I won't say "You were right" because out of the box, it doesn't work, and
> >can't be made to work without hacking the generated code. However, I will
> >happily admit that it wasn't the bug I first thought it was.
> >

> I am not looking for you to acknowledge that I am right, just attempting
> to jump to the conclusion (that it works) without covering the same old
> stuff.  Yes, there are a few small issues with PostgreSQL support in
> Torque.  I am reasonably comfortable that most of the issues are
> documented on the FAQ page and that none of these are show stoppers.

It fundamentally doesn't work unless you modify the generated SQL by hand.

The wiki says so:

``The situation with PostgreSQL 7.3 would appear to be quite different. It
appears that in SQL it is enough to simply declare a column as "serial"
... This would mean that Tourque could be updated to not generate the code
that creates and drops the sequence -- ScottEade 2003-02-06''

``So this is basically a bug in Torque - i.e. it should generate
"tablename_columnname_seq" rather than "tablename_seq" and perhaps still
allow for the <id-method-parameter> element to allow for versions of
PostgreSQL that truncate the sequence name to 26 characters. -- ScottEade
2003-02-07''

I suspect that if you do these fixes, then a lot of people will become
much happier, especially since postgres 7.2 isn't available any more.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/
I am the Borg.                         http://www.gothnicity.org/