db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Shevek <she...@anarres.org>
Subject Re: Bug in sequence generation with no columns
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:28:53 GMT
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Scott Eade wrote:

> Shevek wrote:
>
> >This should be supported, since this turned up as a normal business case.
> >It isn't quite normalised, but it isn't really possible to normalise
> >further.
> >
> Please elaborate on the business case.

I have a number of objects of different structures. They are in separate
tables. Each of which needs to be associated with a set of objects
of type Word. Therefore each of these different objects stores a key to a
Wordset, and the Word table has a foreign key to Wordset. Thus Wordset has
no properties of its own, only the primary key.

The ideal way to do this would probably be to create a common base class
for the objects of differing structures, but this association with the set
would be the only significant win. Adding a dummy column so BasePeer can
work out what on earth is going on works just as well, but a doInsert()
really ought to keep track of which table it's inserting into, so this
shouldn't be necessary.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/