db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: [DB Torque Wiki] Updated: PostgreSQLFAQ
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:22:21 GMT
Shevek wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Scott Eade wrote:
>

>>Shevek wrote:
>>

>>>So now if I don't set the id-method-parameter seqName, then postgres fails
>>>because it's trying to select currval from a sequence which noone has
>>>selected nextval from.
>>>
>>>And if I do set the id-method-parameter seqName, then postgres fails
>>>because it tries to create tables with a primary key sequence that Torque
>>>already created.
>>>
>>>It looks rather like Hobson's choice, and it's documented as such at
>>>

>>7.3.4 - not cutting edge, but by no means old.  If you go to the page I
>>reference above and read the FAQ you will save yourself a bunch of time.
>>

>That FAQ page says under item 2 that it DOESN'T work for postgres 7.3.
>It's quite right, it doesn't. It can be made to work by hacking the
>generated output several times, but that isn't a solution. Please update
>the code so that it does work.

Please ask in a nicer way - e.g. by submitting a patch :-)

>>>I won't say "You were right" because out of the box, it doesn't work, and
>>>can't be made to work without hacking the generated code. However, I will
>>>happily admit that it wasn't the bug I first thought it was.
>>>

>>I am not looking for you to acknowledge that I am right, just attempting
>>to jump to the conclusion (that it works) without covering the same old
>>stuff.  Yes, there are a few small issues with PostgreSQL support in
>>Torque.  I am reasonably comfortable that most of the issues are
>>documented on the FAQ page and that none of these are show stoppers.
>>

>It fundamentally doesn't work unless you modify the generated SQL by hand.
>
>The wiki says so:
>
>``The situation with PostgreSQL 7.3 would appear to be quite different. It
>appears that in SQL it is enough to simply declare a column as "serial"
>... This would mean that Tourque could be updated to not generate the code
>that creates and drops the sequence -- ScottEade 2003-02-06''
>
>``So this is basically a bug in Torque - i.e. it should generate
>"tablename_columnname_seq" rather than "tablename_seq" and perhaps still
>allow for the <id-method-parameter> element to allow for versions of
>PostgreSQL that truncate the sequence name to 26 characters. -- ScottEade
>2003-02-07''

Wow!  So the problem you have been examining is fully documented - that
is excellent!  If you can contribute the other issues you have
identified to the Wiki then this would be really helpful to the next
person or perhaps even to someone that wants to implement a solution/fix.

>I suspect that if you do these fixes, then a lot of people will become
>much happier, especially since postgres 7.2 isn't available any more.

I will be one of them.

Regards,

Scott

--