db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:14:28 GMT
On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 11:53, Emmanuel Florent wrote:
> >   If not, we should discuss this more.
> What about a standalone project for the torque-gen ?
> I think that that proposal is rather a small component than a standalone
> project. Think about Axion, Think about an full featured IDE @apache.
> That probably would be revolutionary, but that's not my proposal.
>
> That's why I would like to refer to http://db.apache.org/newproject.html
> rather than
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

I will update the documentation.  The newproject.html document precedes
the incubation policy and is no longer accurate.  Projects should not
accept large code donations (where large is subjective, but a set of
code published under a license for use and with its own website probably
qualifies) without going through the incubator.  It does not matter
whether a project (db) plans to incorporate the code into an existing
product/subproject or keep it separate.

How many committers to torque-gui or devaki.org are currently committers
to torque?  How many committers to torque-gui are there currently? If
more than one, do they all agree on the move and change of license.  If
only one, are you used to working in a consensus based environment.

If you were already committing code to torque and there were no license
or copyright issues, then you could just add the code to torque without
going through the incubation process, so it could be taken that I am
trying to make things difficult.  But I am really just trying to make
sure we don't end up in a fight over the bureaucracy.  The ASF has
created the incubator as a process to help ensure legal matters are
attended to. It's not good for the community to try to circumvent these
processes, but to try to make them as streamlined as possible.

john mcnally